Monthly Archives: May 2016

3 iPhone Camera Tricks & Apps


May 22, 2016

camera

It is important to understand how to use features in the Camera app in order to create the best possible photos.

We asked Liz Weiman, our iPad/iPhone technical guru to tell us 3 things we can do right now to get better pictures.

1. When you snap photos, use the High Volume button on the side of your iPhone to take the shot instead of the white onscreen button. This really helps to steady the camera when you are taking a picture and don’t want the camera to move as it tends to when you tap the white button. This also works with headphones that have volume controls on the cable.

2. The iPhone focuses for you automatically, and you can tell where it focuses based on the yellow square that shows on the screen. However, you can manually direct it to focus elsewhere by tapping on the screen in the desired locations, which directs your iPhone specifically where to focus.

3. The days that you take a group photo without yourself in it are over! There’s a self-timer on the iPhone in the Camera app, with a choice between a 2-second delay and a 10-second delay.  You can prop up the camera or put it on one of the specially-made tripods for the iPhone, and then tap the self-timer. This gives you time to run back to your group to be photographed before the photo is taken.

Liz Weiman’s “iWorkshop:I and iWorkshop II” classes take place starting September 12th, and October 10th, respectively, at 1:00 p.m. For more information about these class, or to sign up, click or tap here. To receive a free list of the Top 15 Essential Apps she recommends to have on your device, visit her site at iworkshopacademy.com.

The Art & Science of Garden Design


May 22, 2016

repotting-flowers.jpg This year is the 300th anniversary of the birth of the English garden designer and architect, Lancelot “Capability” Brown. During his long, productive, and versatile career, Brown changed the face of the English landscape, designing more than 250 parks and gardens. Numerous events are being planned in the UK to celebrate this event this summer. We checked in with Barry Greenlaw, who is teaching “Capability Brown: 300 Years Of The English Garden” this July, to find out more.

WIH Reporter: What is important for us to know about Capability Brown?

Greenlaw: This is the 300th anniversary of Brown’s birth. It is being celebrated as a big event throughout Britain, with all sorts of special events and openings.  More than 250 gardens and estates are known or attributed to Brown’s designs, many of which survive in whole or part today.  We will look at a number of them in this 4-week course, including some of the less well-known.

WIH Reporter: What would surprise us to know about Brown?

Greenlaw: Brown was an architect as well as a garden designer, a fact that is not well known. We will look at some of his house designs as well as gardens.

WIH Reporter: What will you cover specifically in your classes?

Greenlaw: We will use lots of slides, showing views of gardens, early plans etc.  The first week will probably look at the state of England’s gardens before Brown – to provide contrast with his work.  The second session will cover  the influence on Brown of the designer William Kent, and display Brown’s early work at gardens such as Stowe.  In the third session, we will view Brown’s mature work at places like Petworth, Chatsworth,Croome Court, and more.  The last session, we will cover Brown’s influence on later designers, in England and elsewhere in Europe, and maybe even in America.

Greenlaw’s 4-week class begins on July 11th. For more information about this class, or to sign up, click here. You can also visit capabilitybrown.org to learn about all the festival events in the U.K.

Art With A Heart


May 22, 2016

 

Mark your calendar for June 12th! Art With A Heart is a benefit for the Art in Medicine Program at Texas Children’s Hospital being held at The Women’s Institute, from 1:00 to 5:00 p.m. Paintings done by the children at TCH undergoing chemotherapy and blood infusions will be for sale. Artists Viki Anderson,

Raquel Fernandez, and Sheila Zeve, co-chairs for the event, have facilitated the paintings done by the children. Paintings by Viki, Raquel, and Sheila will also be on sale with a portion of the sales going to the Periwinkle Foundation. The Periwinkle Foundation supports the Art in Medicine program at TCH. For further information, contact Sheila at 713-629-8985.

How Much Do You Know About … Salt?


May 22, 2016

saltshaker

Salt is so plentiful in our times that we don’t even think much about it, except to use less of it for medical reasons. It is hard to believe that it was so revered that military battles were fought over it! How much do you know about salt?

 Here is a quiz to test your knowledge about salt!

1. There is an enormous salt mine, 100 years old, under an American city about 1,200 feet below ground. Which city?

A. San Francisco.
B. Seattle.
C. Detroit.

2. Where in the world is there a hotel and spa completely made of salt:

A. Dubai.
B. Bolivia.
C. Myanmar.

3. In the early 1800s salt was four times as expensive

as ____ on the frontier:

A. Fur.
B. Beef.
C. Leather.

4. The word “salary” comes from salt because:

A. Romans were paid money with which they bought salt.
B. Romans were paid in salt.
C. Romans guarded roads which led to salt mines.

5. We eat 7 per cent of all salt production. The other 93 per cent is used by the:

A. Aviation industry.
B. Chemical industry.
C. Transportation industry.

6. The expression “not worth his salt” came from:

A. Greece.
B. India.
C. England.

 Answers:

1. C. There is an enormous salt mine under the city of Detroit, about 1,200 feet below ground. According to Detroit Salt Co., the century-old mine spreads out more than 1,500 acres and
has more than 100 miles of underground roads.

2. B. The Palacio de Sal Hotel and Spa in Bolivia is completely made out of salt.

3. B. In the early 1800s salt was four times as expensive as beef on the frontier – it was essential to keep people and livestock alive.

4. A..and C. There is a very common misconception that Roman soldiers were paid in salt (hence the word Salary), but in fact they were paid in normal money. Because Roman soldiers were given money to buy salt, the word “salary” was coined.However, many believe also that the connection with salt is possibly due to the fact that the soldiers protected the salt roads leading to Rome (Via Salarium).

5. B. We eat 7 per cent of all salt production. The other 93 per cent is used by the chemical
industry.

6. A. “He is not worth his salt” is an expression that originated in ancient Greece where salt was traded for slaves.