The Women’s Institute of Houston offers adult continuing education courses, featuring seminars, lectures, and hands-on classes in such wide-ranging subjects as politics and current events, history, art history, literature, psychology, and computer education. Experts in their fields and professors from area universities teach our continuing education courses.
The Women’s Institute of Houston became chartered as a non-profit educational organization in 1956. Since then, we have created our continuing education programs to include both Cultural Studies, Sunday Lectures, and from time to time our Texas Traveler day trips, all tailored to fit into the hectic schedules of modern life. We also offer a Lecture Luncheon Series, which brings to Houston authorities from around the world to speak about an aspect of their field of expertise in a single presentation.
The Women’s Institute of Houston was founded in 1951 by Mr. and Mrs. Dean Richardson, in cooperation with community members who were dedicated to offering adult continuing education. In 1956, The Women’s Institute was chartered as a non-profit educational organization, and the present dual program began to take shape. This program consists of the Cultural Studies Program and Sunday Lectures, a group of courses given by local university professors that are tailored to fit into the hectic schedules of modern life; and the Lecture Luncheon Series, which brings authorities who discuss an aspect of their field of expertise in a single presentation.
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Board of Directors
Marilyn G. Lummis, Chair Emerita
Dorothy W. Smith, Chair Emerita
Cynthia J. Brown, Chairman
Susan Reeves, President
Jane Smith, Vice President
Bette Brinson, Treasurer
Joan Scales, Secretary
Donna Glass, Lecture Luncheon Chair
Jana Whitby, Executive Director
Shea Hill, Executive Assistant
Fax (713) 529-9266
The Women’s Institute
2202 Avalon Place
Houston, Texas 77019