Coffee is a hugely popular drink prepared from roasted seeds, often called “beans” of the coffee plant, due to their shape. People consume it all over the world, but often don’t not know much about the history and culture of coffee. Here’s a quiz to test your coffee knowledge:
1. Coffee was first discovered in 800 AD by goat herders in :
2. Coffee is the ____ most traded commodity on earth:
3. The only state in the US to grow coffee is:
A. Puerto Rico.
4. The majority of the world’s coffee is produced in:
5. The world’s largest coffee drinkers hail from:
6. True or False?
Drinking coffee gives you a 65 percent chance of avoiding Alzheimer’s disease.
1. C. Shepherds discovered coffee in Ethiopia circa 800 A.D.
Legend has it that 9th century goat herders noticed the effect caffeine had on their goats, who appeared to “dance” after eating coffee berries. A local monk then made a drink from the berries and found that it kept him awake at night, so this is how the original cup of coffee was born.
2. B. Coffee is the second most traded commodity on earth, second to petroleum. According to the Global Exchange, there are approximately 25 million farmers in over 50 countries involved in producing coffee.
3. B. Hawaii. Kona coffee is the United States’ gift to the coffee world. Because coffee grows best in climates along the equator, Hawaii’s weather is optimal for harvesting coffee beans.
4. C.. Brazil produces 40% of the world’s coffee, which is twice as much as 2nd and 3rd place holders, Colombia and Vietnam.
5. B. The Netherlands consume 2414 cups per day, followed closely by Finland.
6. True. In an important study, coffee drinking of 3-5 cups per day at midlife was associated with a decreased risk of dementia/AD by about 65% at late-life. In conclusion, coffee drinking may be associated with a decreased risk of dementia/AD. Researchers found that older patients with high levels of caffeine in their blood were more likely to avoid Alzheimer’s. Studies have also shown that caffeine has positive effects on type 2 diabetes and Parkinson’s disease. It has also been shown to protect against skin cancer in women.